Back on January 8th I canceled my Dreamhost account and began hosting my site off of my cable modem. Only receiving ~15 hits a day I figured I might as well save myself $120 a year. So I chose freedns.afraid.org
to host my DNS. They were free and had all the options that I wanted, including working with Tomato
After the switch I noticed that my traffic had declined dramatically, down to ~1 hit per day. So I starting doing a bit of investigating and found that Google was no longer crawling my site and had deleted my previous results. Logging into the Google Webmaster Tools
I found that Google was having DNS issues connecting to my site. Well, after pulling my hair out for an evening I found that FreeDNS was blocking the googlebot from crawling my site.
Solution: I have switched my DNS provider to ZoneEdit
. ZoneEdit offers similar features to that of FreeDNS. Now Google can access my site again, but I'm no longer in the results for some searches. I guess it will take some time. Yahoo and Live search were totally unaffected by FreeDNS.
So this is a warning to all people using FreeDNS and want Google to crawl their site.